Skip to main content

tv   Anderson Cooper 360  CNN  October 19, 2010 1:00am-2:00am EST

2:00 am
false idols. and sharron angle telling
2:01 am
tall tales to kids. and new developments in the pirate lake murder. new details on the grisly killing of the mexican investigator and new word the mexican authorities may not believe the story that tiffany hartley is telling, the story that her husband is still missing. and the connecticut home invasion horror. a killer convicted of invading a family's home and murdering a mom and two daughters. what could possibly save him from a death sentence? we'll see what the defense and prosecution did today and you can decide if you would spare a killer's life. tonight, another politician playing loose with the facts. talking about the senate race in kentucky between democrat jack conway and republican, tea party favorite, ran paul. it's been close and contentious and ugly and that's before the conway campaign launched this ad. take a look. >> i'm jack conway, approved this mage. why was rand paul a member of a secret society that called the holy bible a hoax banned from mocking christianity and christ? why did rand paul tie up a woman
2:02 am
and tell her to bow down before a false idol and say his god was aqua buddha? what does he want to end the reduction for religious charities? why are there so many questions about rand paul? >> that sounds dangerous, maybe even criminal. we'll tell you in a moment. first, here's rand paul's replay ad from today. >> i'm rand paul and i approved this message. now jack conway is attacking rand paul's faith. rand paul keeps christ in his heart in the life he shares with his wife and three boys. don't be fooled by conway's desperate attack. it's shameless, disgraceful, gutter politics at its worst. what kind of shameful politician would sink this low to bear false witness against another man just to win an election? this one would. jack conway. >> all right, so if you're keeping score, according to adding with jack conway is a gutter politician and reason spaul a lying and kidnapping
2:03 am
pagan. we'll check the facts but there were not many facts yesterday in the debate. take a look. >> step up. cast aside these attacks on my personal religion. jack, you should be ashamed of yourself. you should poll guides. have you no decency? have you no shame? >> why did he freely join a group known for mocking or making fun of people of faith? and secondly, when is it ever a good idea? a good idea to tie up a woman and ask her kneel before a false god, your god you call aqua buddha. >> you just out and out lied because you have nothing to stand on. stand up and be a man instead of just calling me names. >> you don't have the guts to stand by your positions because once you get out there and put them out there and realize you can't sell them and get elected on them you sentence back.
2:04 am
you told me to stand up and be a man, have the guts to stay by your positions. >> you know, jack, you know how to tell when you're lying? it's when your lips are moving. >> when is it appropriate to tie up a woman and have her kneel before a false idol that you refer to as aqua buddha. >> when the debate ends you'll notice i won't be shaking his hand tonight. ly not shake hands with someone who attacks my religion and attacks my christian beliefs. >> all right, a lot of heat and a lot of jack conway repeating the aqua but disline no pun intend, like a mantra. let's check facts. for starters this is the secret society the ad refers top rand paul is in the straw hat, and the old nose and glasses trick. and the fact that the picture was taken when rand paul was attending baylor university 27 years ago. the photo is about the incident in "gq" magazine. this is the baylor edition of the "harvard lampoon."
2:05 am
a secret society called "noze brotherhood." and the article describes an incident in 198. when paul and a nose brother call made a call of a female friend on the swim team. they blindfolded her, tied her up, put her in a car and forced her to do bong hits and then they forced her to go to the countryside and forced her to bow down to aqua buddha in the creek. it was kind of saw disic. she said, i went along because they were my friends and there was a implicit degree of friendship but i felt like i was being hazed. she wenten to say no one forced her to smoke pot and do this but she thought it was weird and she broke off her friendship. yes, the noze brotherhood was banned because this is a strict institution. rand paul is a presbyterian, not a aqua but dis. he wants to end federal faith-based initiatives because he wants to end many, not because of the ten ants of aqua
2:06 am
buddhaism tells him. he denies this but he wouldn't come on the program and neither would jack conway. thankfully, paul and alex are here, republican and democratic strategist and each one familiar with crafting campaign ads. a lot of democrats are saying that conway has crossed the line. >> i can't imagine why. seriously, it's uncontroverted by, apparently, dr. paul in the debate. the ad makes it clear it was in college and it was a long time ago. i think that rand paul's defense is really disingenuous. he says, he's attacking my religion. no. he belonged to a group that mokd christianity a long time ago. what if he belonged to a group that mocked jews. i want want to know that. voters can process this. to me it's perfectly legitimate and i was surprised he didn't -- dr. paul didn't have a better
2:07 am
answer in the debate last night. i put the high in high jinks, that's all that was. maybe people can discern for themselves if that's a legitimate answer. i don't have the slightest problem. it was a long time ago, criticizing somebody for apparently, tying a woman up and putting her in a car and -- >> so a 27-year-old college prank when college papers people wrote are brought up in ads, people say, look, this was 20 some odd years ago. this is 27 years old. >> that's a legitimate defense. let him say that. let voters figure it out. the people of kentucky, i've done a race there, let me tell you, the three basic kentucky politics are blue grass, bourbon and the baby jesus. they are serious about their religion. if he said, as a college student i mocked christianity and it was a long time ago but he didn't even offer that. >> i think paul is launching an valiant effort to defend the
2:08 am
indefensible and just the plain dumb. this is reaching into the past a little bit accusing rand paul of being a college student. okay, i guess a lot of americans have committed that crime. this is what happens in desperate campaigns. you're in a wave year and running behind. >> you think it's going to backfire? >> i think very much so. paul is right. there's a jury out there, called the american people, and they're fairly smart. this tells the voters that a guy is so desperate to win that he'll use unsubstantiated charges, really knot being hind them. he'll say things he'll attack someone's faith and not even fellow democrats like claire mccaskill can support this. what conclusion do vetters get? this guy wants to win too much and he's too interested in himself and his political future. he's worried about keeping his job and not my job. >> sorry. >> they are substantiated.
2:09 am
>> not by the woman who said that -- >> she shade it was sadistic one. >> i must have missed that one. >> and mocking somebody's religion is just wrong. >> jack conway got this wrong. christine o'donnell who wore the witch hat. you know? i think he has them mixed up. >> let's let our viewers decide. i want to have time to show this. the sharron angle situation. a couple weeks ago we highlighted this ad that sharron angle had played and we showed a picture allegedly of illegal immigrants and rand paul played this -- had the same picture in the ad. this is the picture -- i don't know if we can zoom in on that but, anyway, the picture was taken of some men in mexico, whether or not or not they were illegal immigrants is unknown to the photographer but they are clearly mexicans and there's a fence there or latinos. now, sharron angle was recently
2:10 am
talking to a group of hispanic students in the school and i want to play what she said. the video isn't great but just listen to what she said. >> so that's what we want is a secure and sovereign nation. and, you know, i don't know that all of you are latino. some of you look a little more asian to me. i don't know that. what we know, what we know about ourselves is that we are a melting pot in this country. my grandchildren are evidence of that. i'm evidence of that. i've been called the first asian legislator in our nevada state assembly. >> before that video played in the statement she basically indicated that the people in the picture it wasn't clear, maybe they were from canada or not necessarily the southern border she was talking about which seems like a complete stretch of
2:11 am
the facts and then at the end, where she taukts about herself being mistaken for asian and that maybe people in the audience were asian? >> i have no idea. i'm at a complete loss, i have to tell you. john rolston, said the room was hispanic student group. and all the kids -- >> you got her confuse, too. >> i guess so. it happens to everybody. but she's just completely unhinged. she sad frank further, texas, was run by sharia law. and that's crazy. she keeps saying crazy things. >> alex, for the record, her spokesman says she was trying to make the case that this country is a melting pot and somebody once when she was in the legislator my i mistook her for an asian. >> i think she chose a particularly confusing way to
2:12 am
express herself there. i understand her sentiment, hey, you know, you don't know who anybody is in this country because we're all judged by what we can do not what we look like. from now on as a hispanic guy, i'd like to be addressed at alejandro. maybe i'm chinese. i don't know. >> it's like a liberal media outside of the state focusing on a lot of her statements, that she's made because it doesn't seem to have any impact within the state. >> you know, anderson, that's a good point. this year is not about the individual football players. this year it's about the team. and which jersey you wear. are you on the incumbent on the washington jersey team? the team that's running washington now? or are you on the other team? and the foibles and flaws and the individual players don't seem to matter or move numbers that much. there are a lot of democratic candidates that voters actually like that will lose this year because they're for the wrong team.
2:13 am
they're -- they've spent too much and put us too much in washington. and there's a lot of republicans who, i think, are stepping on their own messages and maybe not expressing themselves very well. they're going to win because they're on the outsiders' team. guys, thanks. >> let us know what you think. join our live chat. democratic congresswoman, eddy bernice johnson. they said she couldn't give scholarship money to a relative, remember? but she did, over and over and over again, more than $30,000 to her family members and family of people on her staff. there were plenty of needy kids that should have gotten the money and didn't. now we learned someone else got scholarship money that shouldn't. first time it was family. this time it was business. and the murder on pirate lake. a jet ski trip gone horribly wrong for tiffany and david hartley. grisly details about the mexican lawman investigating the case found beheaded. mexican authorities may not believe tiffany hartley's story. details ahead. some people think allstate only protects your car.
2:14 am
here's the truth. allstate can also protect your home or apartment, as well as your boat, motorcycle, rv, and snowmobile, and even your retirement and your life. not many insurance companies can say that. but allstate can. now that you know the truth, know this: the more of your world you put in good hands, the more you can save. dollar for dollar, nobody protects you like allstate. each day was fueled by thorough preparation for events to come.
2:15 am
well somewhere along the way, emily went right on living. but you see, with the help of her raymond james financial advisor, she had planned for every eventuality. which meant she continued to have the means to live on... even at the ripe old age of 187. life well planned. see what a raymond james advisor can do for you. she starts at dawn and so does her back pain.om. that's two pills foa four hour drive. the drive is done. so it's a day of games and two more pills. the games are over, her pain is back, that's two more pills. and when she's finally home, but hang on, just two aleve can keep back pain away all day with fewer pills than tylenol. this is rachel, who chose aleve and two pills for a day free of pain. ♪ and get the all day pain relief of aleve in liquid gels. ♪
2:16 am
princess of the powerpoint. your core competency... is competency. and you rent from national. because only national lets you choose any car in the aisle. and go. you can even take a full-size or above. and still pay the mid-size price. i'm getting an upgrade. [ male announcer ] indeed, business pro. indeed. go national. go like a pro.
2:17 am
"keeping them honest" a new allegation against a dallas texas congresswoman accused of help tichl and the handing out of tens of thousands of dollars of scholarship money, democrat, eddie bernice johnson. she broke the rules of the congressional black caucus scholarship foundation by awarding 23 skal lorships worth $31,000 to her grandsons, great nephews and the son and daughter of her top dallas aide. >> anderson, i've acknowledged
2:18 am
that i was negligent. i've acknowledged that i made a mistake. when it was called to my attention i tried to correct it. i know you want to make a scandal out of this but i can't help you. all i'm doing is tell you can the truth. >> that's what she said last time. she said she tried to correct it and she repaid it but she has failed to follow the rules. she denies knowing that you're not supposed to give money to relatives and claims she was so busy she never paid attention to the scholarships. never paid attention to details and who was getting the money. but little by little her story is crumbling and now there's new allegations centering on a person named don o bannon. she got $1,000 in scholarship money, her father, don, is the vice president of dallas/ft. worth airport where he oversees minority contracting. why is that important? it just so happens that congresswoman johnson is one of those minority contractors. she owns through a trust, a 25% stake in two airport newsstands.
2:19 am
mr. o' bannon is on leave. the johnson office has no comment, no surprise there. joining me to talk about sit todd gillman from the ""dallas morning news"" and the executive director of citizens for responsible ethics in government. every time i think the story has faded a new name emerges and the list of people that congresswoman johnson gave scholarships too inappropriately grows longer and longer and longer. it looks like she was using this scholarship to curry favor to someone that had influence over her because interests. >> that's the interpretation that some people are putting this. we haven't been able to establish a quid pro quo. one of the daughters went to a contracting official at the airport where she has business interests.
2:20 am
>> you haven't been able to establish whether or not she knew that danielle was the daughter of this man who oversaw her business interest? >> right. i spoke with the girl's mother. the mother and father have been divorced for 16 years. the mother says that the father, the one who works at dfw airport, didn't know anything about the application. had nothing those with applying for the scholarship but told me that she's certain that congresswoman johnson knows both of them. she knows the congresswoman through various social circles. they are not friends, she says, but she says the congresswoman know hers and the ex-husband and knows the daughter. >> melanie, danielle is a worthy recipient, stu studying at dartmouth. clearly a good student and she apparently didn't break any rules in getting the scholarship but we don't know if she knew the congresswoman and, therefore, you know, signed this pledge that she had no connection to the congresswoman. what do you make of this? is this -- what do you make of it?
2:21 am
>> well, i think my favorite part of the story is that mrs. o' bannon's explanation is her daughter -- they know charlie rangel. she got the scholarship because of cronyism. it's not about the best kids who need scholarships to get them. these were unadvertised and this says that the cbc foundation needs to fix this program. >> it seems, todd, that congresswoman johnson's story from the beginning has been well, i've been so busy i didn't even really know. but she's basically saying she didn't really know her own grandson and grand nephew were receiving these scholarships which kind of defies credibility?
2:22 am
>> right. she told you and she's told us and she's told others, kind of conflicting stories about whether she knew that her relatives were getting these scholarships. the year danielle obannon got the scholarships five of those other six kids, the relatives of the congresswoman and her employee, also got scholarships. that's six out of ten in year 2007, were people who probably should have not gotten these scholarships. ly say, danielle was not related -- is not related to the congresswoman but she does live in the district unlike the other relatives. on that level it's defensible she got the scholarship and as you say by all rarts and all accounts we've been able to get, an outstanding student. it's justs that there's this potential conflict of interest having to do with the congresswoman's business interest and dfw airport. >> and the same year, melanie, that danielle received the scholarship she got a four-day internship in one of represent johnson's congressional offices, correct?
2:23 am
>> which all goes to show that danielle did know eddie bernice johnson and it seems more likely that's the real reason she got the scholarship is her relationship with the congresswoman. and the fact is that eddie bernice johnson has no credibility on the issue given her story has changed every time she's caught on one of these issues so we can't ever know the truth about what got which scholarship why in that office. >> todd, frankly, congresswoman johnson could have, from the beginning, laid out the list of people who got these scholarships and could have pointed out any one who there may be a conflict with and clearly she's not done that. when she's talked to you or me, the one time she talked to me, she would admit to those people whose names had only been revealed and only been revealed because of your hard work and the "dallas morning news'" hard work in tracking them down. she's only giving information that's already out there. she's not given out any information that wasn't previously known. >> there's the saying about "telling the truth slowly."
2:24 am
the story of danielle wouldn't have come to light if not for an anonymous tipster that kaufled the dfw airport fraud hotline. we found out that her father, the vice president in charge of minority contracting at dfw, had been suspended anding an investigation which is still ongoing. so i can't take credit for having discovered this. we have vetted any number of names on the list of scholarship recipients. we've looked for relatives and others and we haven't found any others. who knows? this is an example that it's impossible, sometimes, to see where the networks are. >> and we should say, congresswoman johnson is up for re-election and we've invited her and continue to invite her to explain this latest name on the list and frankly, to find out if there are other names and we continue to invite congresswoman bishop running for re-election in georgia also been caught giving out scholarships inappropriately. who knows how many other there is are. the scholarship seems to have had no your sight whatsoever.
2:25 am
we'll continue to scratch at this. thank you both for your time. still ahead, the penalty phase in connecticut's home invasion trial. what were the arguments for sparing the killer's life? and next, why did celine deon check into the hospital? details coming up. praiser: well you rarely see them in this good of shape. appraiser: for example the fingers are perfect. appraiser: the bird is in mint condition. appraiser: and i would say if this were to go to auction today, woman: really? appraiser: conrvativy it would be worth 2 in the bush. praiser: it's just biful, thank u so much for brinit i woman: unbelievable appraiser: conrvativy it would be worth 2 in the bush. anncr: geico. 15 minutes could save you 15% or more.
2:26 am
look at all this stuff for coffee. oh there's tons. french presses, espresso tampers, filters. it can get really complicated. not nearly as complicated as shipping it, though. i mean shipping is a hassle. not with priority mail flat rate boxes from the postal service. if it fits it ships anywhere in the country for a low flat rate. that is easy. best news i've heard all day! i'm soooo amped! i mean not amped. excited. well, sort of amped. really kind of in between. have you ever thought about decaf? do you think that would help? yeah. priority mail flat rate shipping starts at just $4.90,
2:27 am
only from the postal service. a simpler way to ship.
2:28 am
coming up, we'll look at what happened in court today as the penalty phase of the connecticut home invasion murder trial began.
2:29 am
first, joe johns has a "360 bulletin." a $25,000 reward for information about who murdered two postal workers this morning at a post office in tennessee. they were shot to death during an apparent robbery attempt according to a memphis newspaper. police are reportedly on the hunt for two suspects considered armed and dangerous. a senior nato official says osama bin laden and his top deputy are not holed up in a cave. instead, they're living in comfort in the tribal regions of northwest pakistan, possibly, under the protection of members of pakistan's intelligence service. pakistan has long denied that bin laden is being protected. meanwhile, the obama administration is finishing up work on a $2 billion aid package that will help pakistan fight terrorists along its border with afghanistan. former nfl linebacker junior seau is recovering in a california hospital after his suv went off a cliff this morning.
2:30 am
the accident happened shortly after he was released from police custody following his arrest for allegedly assaulting his girlfriend. and as a precaution, celine deon, who is pregnant with twins, has checked into a florida hospital to make sure her babies don't arrive early. she's 42 years old and her twin boys are due next month. all the best to celine deon. >> we wish her well. up next, new information in the pirate lake murder mystery including new details about the grisly murder of mexico's lead investigator in the case. we'll also talk to tiffany hartley who says her husband was killed by bandits. today she finished several hours of interviews with mention tan authorities. we'll ask her about it and hear from the congressman sharply involved. and the penalty phase of the man convicted of murdering a mom and two daughters. the tactics the defense is using coming up. i said "sure." "well, let's grow some algae." and that's what started it.
2:31 am
exxonmobil and synthetic genomics have built a new facility to identify the most productive strains of algae. algae are amazing little critters. they secrete oil, which we could turn into biofuels. they also absorb co2. we're hoping to supplement the fuels that we use in our vehicles, and to do this at a large enough scale to someday help meet the world's energy demands. one month, five years after you do retire? ♪ client comes in and they have a box. and inside that box is their financial life. people wake up and realize i better start doing something. we open up that box. we organize it. and we make decisions. we really are here to help you. they look back and think, "wow. i never thought i could do this." but we've actually done it. [ male announcer ] visit ameriprise.com and put a confident retirement more within reach.
2:32 am
everything you need to stretch out on long trips. residence inn. ♪ everything you need to stay balanced on long trips. residence inn. i graduated from west point, then i did a tour of duty in iraq. when i was transitioning from active duty, i went to a military officer hiring conference.
2:33 am
it was kind of like speed dating. there were 12 companies that i was pre-matched with, but walmart turned out to be the best for me. sam walton was in the military, and he understood the importance of developing your people. it's an honor to be in a position of leadership at walmart. i'm captain tracey lloyd, and i work at walmart. ♪ affect wheat output in the u.s., the shipping industry in norway, and the rubber industry in south america? at t. rowe price, we understand the connections of a complex global economy. it's just one reason os beat their10-year lipp. t. rowe price.invest . request a prospectus or summary prospectus with investment objectives, risks, fees, expenses, and other information to read and consider carefully before investing.
2:34 am
tonight, the case known as "the pirate lake murder." david hartley shot to death on the mexican side of falcon lake possibly linked to mexico's drug cartels and the body has not been found. today tiffany hartley wrapped up two days of interviews in texas. we're going to speak to her shortly but we've learned new details about the grisly murder last week of the mexican lead investigator in the case. ed is there. what have you learned? >> reporter: we learned that state department officials are discounting the story that was widely circulating suggesting
2:35 am
that the lead investigator on the mexican side in this case of david hartley, that he had been decapitated and that his beheaded head was delivered in a suitcase to an army office to a border town on the other side of the border near falcon lake. we're told by a u.s. state department official that's not what happened. that the investigator was decapitated, but that his head was found along the road that leads to falcon lake and the rest of his remains have not been identified or have been found as of yet. this falls in line with the m.o. of the zeta cartel, a powerful and brutal drug cartel that's risen to power here, strongly within the last year. this has been kind of the way they do business, sending a clear message. it reminded us of a story we had done about a year and a half ago here for your show about two young teenage men that were recruited by the zetas to be
2:36 am
hitmen. one of the investigators in that case talked about what it is that the zeta cartel members had employed and the brutal nature of the things that he do when they go after the people they killed, including something called "giso." >> it's slime, the way they did suppose of bodies. they put them in 55-gallon drums, fill which the diesel, any type of combustible liquid and put tires around them and set them on fire. >> okay. that's incredible how violent the zetas are and their story is fascinating how they rose to prominence. they used to be special forces and started hiring themselves out as protectionists to the drug cartels and then became their own cartel, right? >> reporter: that's exactly right, anderson.
2:37 am
several years ago it started off as a group of 30 former army paramilitary special forces soldiers. they've grown much larger and i was speaking with the deo official and said many original members have been killed but two of the top leaders, they are considered just absolutely brutal people and they're the ones that have taken this drug cartel to a new level of violence. the beheadtion and the torture has really gone up since these two men have rizzs on the power. >> what's the latest on the hartley investigation, ed? >> well, in terms of obviously what most people hearing with his family cares about finding his body. we understand on the mexican side, the physical search for the body has been suspended and as you mentioned off the top, tiffany hartley spent many hours with mexican investigators and moved to their prosecutor the to see how they hand it. the physical search we understand has stopped on the mexican side. >> ed, appreciate the update. the u.s. consulate has been
2:38 am
told by mention tan authorities they will resume the search for david hartley's body at some point but no date. mexican officials suspended the search saying they need to re-assess the strategy they're using to find them. the consulate said they will hold them to their word. that's not good enough for this congressman, he said mexico's attempts have been ineffective and he joins us with tiffany hartley. tiffany i appreciate you being with us. how are you doing? how are you holding up? >> well, it's hard because i just want my husband back. i mean, that's all that i want right now is just to be able to get him back and then start heading home and honor david and start trying to figure out what i'm going to do from here. >> i know you were meeting with mexican investigators for much of today. did you get the feeling that they believed you or that they didn't believe your story?
2:39 am
>> no, i believe that they believe my story. i mean, we had people from the state and then, also federal. everyone has come together to get my statement and that's why it's taken so long so that everybody has the statement. everybody can't say they don't have it. and you know, they do believe me. i do trust that. >> a sheriff in texas said he thinks the mexican authorities may have been trying to intimidate you into not pushing you for a full investigation. have you felt intimidated in any way? >> no, not at all. just the hours that it's taken, it's between translating from spanish to english and then them having to read everything back to me into english, it's been a long process, but it's over and you know, they've got what i believe they need. and they're going to continue the investigation and you know, i don't know when they're going to continue the search, but which all we want is david and i pray that they pick up the search again.
2:40 am
>> you said today that you were afraid of going to mexico. understandably, for your safety but you said you feared the possibility of being arrested. why do you think mexican authorities might want to arrest you? >> well, i don't think that now. but before when they were doubting my story, i definitely was kind of like, well, if they're doubting me and i go over there, they might arrest me and they don't have anything to arrest me for, but there's that chance and i just don't want to take that chance. >> congressman, do you have any indication if or when the search for david hartley's body will resume? >> i don't suspect it will resume at all. they suspended it first at night because the lake is too dangerous. then they suspended it last week after the head of mr. flores turned up and haven't started up and i suspect won't start up again. they're doing a lot of talk at this point. they are, unfortunately, the mexican side of the board are places where the law enforcement is corrupt and incompetent.
2:41 am
there are thousands of murders in mexico that are drug related and mexico has a horrible record of solving them. they don't solve these homicides. those two issues solving can case looking for david look very bleak. >> congressman, do you think that the body is still out there to be found? i hate to talk about david in that way, but do you think he's still out there to be found? these are vicious cartels. if they wanted the body found they could have easily made that happen by now. >> the zetas will only allow a body to be found if they want it to be. i suspect the body has been removed by the zeta cartel. and the body of investigator flores was found because that was a message to the mexican and american government that the zetas have control of falcon lake at certain points to bring drugs into the united states and it was a warning to both nations to back off and so far it's been successful. >> tiffany, do you feel like you're getting the help you need from the u.s. government and
2:42 am
they're doing everything they can to find david? >> well, their hands are tied because we're dealing with a different country. and, you know, that's a hard thing for the u.s. government. but i think, you know, if there's some way we could all work together and go over there and find him, even if -- i even hate to say it but i have to realize that maybe his body is not there, maybe they did something but there's something, dna or something, that shows where he was at. and i'm just pleading to the people who did this, to anybody who knows who did this, just give me my husband back. i mean that's all i want is just -- i want my husband back. i want to be able to take him home and honor him. and i'm sure somebody out there knows just anonymously or something, help me bring my husband home.
2:43 am
>> tiffany, i know there's lots of folks watching pulling for you and we wish you the best and we'll continue to follow this and hope it gets resolved soon. congressman, thank you very much for your time. still ahead, the heartbreaking gruesome testimony still fresh in jurors' minds. a connecticut monl and daughters, torture and murdered in their home. will the same jury that convicted steven hayes now sentence him to death? that's the question. he was in court today. we'll tell you what happened on day one of the trial's penalty phase. and the murder of chandra levey, ruined the congressman's career, now the alleged killer is about to go on trial. the latest ahead. ocid most calcium supplemts...
2:44 am
t adththod it's dif - alcium crhea
2:45 am
2:46 am
2:47 am
a jury 06 five men and seven women began hearing testimony in the penalty phase of a truly horrific trial. jennifer hawke-petit and her two daughters were murdered during a 2007 home invasion. we've been following the story closely. they were not killed quickly. they were tortured. the wife and daughter were sexually assaulted and the house set on fire. none of them were shown mercy. the same jury that convicted steven hayes, a career criminal, of all three murders will decide whether to sentence him to death. the only surviving member of the petit family, beaten badly by steven hayes has decided not to make a victim impact statement during the sentencing trial because he's worried connecticut's law allowing such statements could lead to an appeal of his sentence. today his defense attorney began calling witnesses after urging jurors to keep an opened mind. during the trial's first phase they saw weeks of testimony that was so gruesome and heartbreaking it brought a lot of them to tears. michael was in the courtroom today.
2:48 am
sunny is our legal contributor for "in session" and she joins us as well. this is basically the phase about proving his life is worth saving. how did they go about that? >> that's what it's about. i think they have to humanize him to the jury. this is the same jury that convicted him of 16 out of 17 counts and found that he committed these heinous crimes. so they're trying to make him into a person worth saving. a person that shouldn't get the ultimate penalty. the death penalty. and that's what we saw today. we heard from five witnesses today from the defense and we heard people that knew him as a child. knew him as a young adult. had worked with him. and they all, without fail, described him as fragile anderson. they described him as "fragile." a nice guy, a jovial guy. they said they were shocked and the wind was taken out of them when they heard this. >> fragile like easy to break, psycho pathic fragile or a gentle soult?
2:49 am
>> i think they meant fragile, easy to break. he had a long history of drug abuse. that affected many of the things that he did in life. it kept him in prison for many, many years of his adult life. so i think that the witness that mentioned that word "fragile" was trying to say he's on the edge. he could crumble. he wasn't leading a good life but perhaps it's still a life worth saving. >> michael, what was the most effective thank you think from the defense's witnesses today? >> we heard from one woman who's known him since he was a late teenager in his early 20s and she said he was always a gentleman. he said he was always apologizing. was remorseful for his failings. but she said that as a criminal, he was pathetic. the word she used he was a klutz. he was a klutz of a criminal. and that he was always a follower and never a leader. that's important because the defense is going to say that the
2:50 am
real leader in this case, in this horrible, horrible crime was the co-defendant, joshua, who will be tried next year. the more they can paint him as a terrible monster, the better, in retrospect, relatively it is, for steven hayes. >> that's what we're saying. we were looking at pictures of the petit family, of mrs. petit and her two daughters that were killed, they're saying that joshua was really the brains behind the whole thing and did the most heinous things. >> no question. that's been the theme throughout the guilt faze and we're seeing that theme come out with the defense on the penalty phase. what i thought was important and striking was the woman that hired steven hayes said that steven hayes asked her to meet with joshua and give him a job and she said, and i quote, i thought i was looking at the devil. and i thought that was fascinating. michael was in the courtroom. and i think that must have resonated with this jury. she thought she was looking at the devil. >> why did the prosecution only call one witness before resting in this phase?
2:51 am
>> all they have to do here, anderson, is prove three statutory aggravators. one is that steven hayes has been convicted before. basically they call aid court clerk to read into the record some of his past convictions for burglary in the third degree. that proves the aggravator. what they have going for them is that every piece of evidence from the guilt phase, every horrible photograph that these jury ors have looked at. every mental picture they've had of these girls tied to their beds or mrs. petit strangled and set on fire, that carries over into this phase as well and they can consider all of that evidence when they're deciding whether steven hayes should live or die. >> we're look at video of inside the bank, mrs. petit taking out $15,000, with steven hayes waiting outside in the car for her driving her back to the house. and then things went bad very, very quickly. there hadn't been much violence up to this point. after these video images were taken events escalated very rapidly. >> and this is the same jury that heard that evidence.
2:52 am
when they returned back to the home, allegedly joshua told steven hayes, i've sexually assaulted michaele, we got to make it even. you have to sexually assault mrs. petit. allegedly, this is what hayes confessed to, that's why he raped mrs. petit and then strangled her. >> the idea that mr. petit wouldn't testify to give kind of victim's impact statement, what is that about? >> that's fascinating. in connecticut there's no place in the statute for a victim to testify and give a victim impact statement before the jury renders a special verdict. and dr. pettit wrote a letter and indicated that he did not want his statement to really be a ground for appeal for this defendant because we know he is in support of the death penalty, especially for these two defendants. >> all right. good to have you on, both. thank you. meghan mccain what she said about the tea party favorite, christine o'donnell's mental state.
2:53 am
and a storm blamed for five deaths. that's coming up. uble ♪ ♪ trouble, trouble trouble, trouble ♪ ♪ trouble been doggin' my soul ♪ since the day i was born ♪ worry ♪ oh, worry, worry worry, worry ♪ [ announcer ] when it comes to things you care about, leave nothing to chance. travelers. take the scary out of life.
2:54 am
2:55 am
princess of the powerpoint. your core competency... is competency. and you rent from national. because only national lets you choose any car in the aisle. and go. you can even take a full-size or above. and still pay the mid-size price. i'm getting an upgrade. [ male announcer ] indeed, business pro. indeed. go national. go like a pro.
2:56 am
let's get you updated on some stories. joe johns with our "360 bulletin." jury selection under way in the trial accused of killing washington intern chandra levy in 2001.
2:57 am
the remains were found in 2002 were more than a year after she vanished. a dangerous typhoon swept across the philippines killing at least five people and it is packing sustained winds of about 103 miles an hours down from a peak of 161 miles an hour over the weekend. it's expected to regrain strength over the south china sea. meghan mccain took aim at delaware candidate christine o'donnell, the daughter of arizona republican senator john mccain said, o'donnell is a nut job and, quote, it scares me for a lot of reasons. o'donnell was a hot topic on tonight's "parker-spitzer." >> they are cross breeding humans and animals and coming up with mice with fully functioning human brain. >> that's a remarkable claim for
2:58 am
somebody that's now only a couple of points from being elected to the united states senate. does that worry you? >> if you saw the debate, she has a great grasp of the issues. she has a heart felt position on every one that will not vary and believe me, i can't give it away but we're working on a new ad for her that talks about her strength and so i've been going in the past over some of the strong statements she's made. they're very strong. >> and he may be the worst tv father who loves being obscene but the vatican's official newspaper has declared homer simpson is a catholic along with hills son, bart. the paper points to the 2005 episode "the father, the son and the holy guest star" where both characters flirt with the idea of converting to catholicism. and executive producer for "the simpsons" told royer the he was in shock and awe at the surge's assertion. anderson it looks like the vatican forgot the session where
2:59 am
homer sold his soul to the devil for a donut. >> think they're watching old simpson episodes at vatican? >> who knew. tonight's shot, amazing. the work of a father and his 7-year-old son. earth from about 19 miles above the planet. the image apparently recorded by an hd video camera attached to a weather balloon, luke and his son, rigged up the contrapgs and used an iphone 4 as a gps tracking device for their spacecraft. they designed it to burst once it reached 19 feet in diameter and then the parachute slowously came back to earth. here's the view as the balloon came down. the camera recorded 100 minutes of video flight. it landed about 30 miles from its launch site in newburg, new york. >> 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 can be 1, blast off! >> this is probably the dream of richard heiny and -- it's like
left
right